Thursday, September 4, 2008

Currently Reading: The Purpose-Driven Life

“A God- shaped life is a flourishing tree.” (Proverbs 11:28)

It is that time of the year once again. Three years ago around my birthday, I came across this amazing book that single-handedly changed the course of my young adult life. I was profoundly blessed by this book that I made a commitment to myself to read it once a year, as my own personal 40-day spiritual retreat.

During the first time, I recorded my thoughts (Days 1-10) through freewriting on my journal.

The second time around, I had a more structured writing for Days 1-10 through The Purpose-Driven Life Journal, but continued with my freewriting for Days 11-20 through my journal.

This year, I am taking Days 1-10 thoughts online... Days 11-20 on structured journal... and Days 21-30 in freewriting...



Day 1: It All Starts with God

“If I handed you an invention you had never seen before, you wouldn’t know its purpose, and the invention itself wouldn’t be able to tell you either. Only the creator or the owner’s manual could reveal its purpose.” (p. 18)

I thank my mom for giving me this nugget of wisdom during my preteens, when I started to pray for my own vocation through her encouragement.

Seeking the Lord's guidance in everything that I do, has become a habit that I have found so worth taking the time to master and perfect. Two of my favorite ways to do this:

1. Singing “Take and Receive”

Take and receive, O Lord, my liberty
Take all my will, my mind, my memory
All things I hold and all I own are Thine
Thine was the gift to Thee I all resign

Do Thou direct and govern all and sway
Do what Thou wilt, command and I obey
Only Thy grace, Thy love on me bestow
These make me rich, all else will I forego


2. Praying the “Serenity Prayer”

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change
Courage to change the things I can
And wisdom to know the difference



Every smooth path, every bend on the road, every rough patch in my journey through life, I have called out, “Lead me, Lord!”

So far, so good... ;)

No comments: